Thursday 15 August 2013

Telephones, Tolstoy and Model T Fords

Just because I know you love lists with random facts, here are some for you.



In the early days of the telephone, operators would pick up a call and use the phrase, "Well, are you there?". It wasn't until 1895 that someone suggested answering the phone with the phrase "number please?"

The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.

It took Leo Tolstoy six years to write "War & Peace".

Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the middle ages: heart represented the Church, spades represented the military, clubs represented agriculture, and diamonds represented the merchant class.

1 in 5,000 north Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue.

There are 10 human body parts that are only 3 letters long (eye hip arm leg ear toe jaw rib lip gum).

Henry Ford produced the model T only in black because the black paint available at the time was the fastest to dry.

There are more than 1,700 references to gems and precious stones in the King James translation of the Bible.

The kangaroo population in Australia is estimated at about 40 million.

In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.

The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear. Any cup-shaped object placed over the ear produces the same effect.
Have a great day. :-)


6 comments:

  1. "When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months."
    Nope. Your hair is dead even when you're alive. The illusion of hair becoming longer after death is caused by the skin drying up and shrinking.
    The other facts look good though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err, what one are you talking about? :P

      Delete
  2. When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months.
    This is beyond disgusting, Bonnie!

    Ahem. Kindly refrain from er, posting such revolting facts... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see that disgusting fact among my list. Why would I want to post something as gross as that??? (Find where it is and show me, please.)

      I shall indeed. I wouldn't want to in the first place.

      Delete
    2. I don't see that fact either. Hmmm...

      I'm so glad I'm not Tolstoy! My patience would be long gone before W&P would ever be close to completion! (Well...unless I was really interested in the topic...)

      Delete
    3. Me too! 6 years is an awfully long time to write such a book!
      I've never read it though, so I don't know what it is like. :-) I just know it's really long.

      Delete

Join the conversation!