Monday 21 April 2014

How I Write in my Diary

Lots of people have diaries. Some have journals. I've heard of them mentioned as notebooks, logbooks and even once a book of secrets!



The place where I write down my thoughts is my diary.

I've had several diaries over the years. My first was begun way back in 2010. Since then, I've been writing roughly one a year. At present I'm in my fourth diary.

Some people ask me what I write in my diary. "How do you keep a diary going for so long?" they ask. Well, I'll let you in on a wee secret. I never used to be able to write a diary. I would start one, write in it avidly for days, weeks, sometimes even months. Then I'd gradually write in it less and less, until it fizzled out forever.

So what has been different about my current diary? How have I managed to keep it going for so long?

Here's my secret.

I don't write in it every day.

KABOOM! Massive revelation! I don't write in it every day!

Seriously though, I believe that is what has kept it going. Too often I forget to write in it for weeks, even months on end. My biggest break in diary writing was about 2 1/2 months, I think. The key (I've found) is to not worry. I don't care if there are massive changes in the dates from one page to the next. Sure, I aim to write at least twice a week, but that often doesn't happen. I don't care!

I think there is this big shroud of mystery about writing in a book. I don't have to write in it every day. What law says I must? To tell you the truth, I haven't seen any that say so!

When I first began it I was mortally afraid some sibling would pick it up and (horror of all horrors!) read it. (Note: if you are worried about what someone will think if they pick it up and read it, there are two solutions. Either hide it in someplace they won't find, or don't write anything in it that you don't mind being read.)

Now onto the big reveal. What do I write in it?


Lots of things.


Sometimes I write the [kind of] boring stuff. "My foot hurts."




Sometimes I write the interesting stuff.
"I've learned that the secret to have joy is to put Jesus first, yourself last, and others in between."

Sometimes I doodle in my diary.

Sometimes I simply write a Bible verse that has been speaking to me recently.

Sometimes (when I am in the right mood) I write in elaborate and complicated codes or ciphers.

Sometimes I write the whole page in mirror writing or pig latin... just for fun.


Do you have a diary /journal / notebook / logbook / book of secrets? What do you write in it?



11 comments:

  1. I've started a diary or journal several times and it has just fizzled out. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now is a brilliant time to start one that won't fizzle out! :P

      Delete
  2. I love to write in my diary, and like you, I have discovered that writing in it every day isn't practical, and it is much easier just to write in it whenever and don't worry about missing a couple of weeks! :) I usually write a brief summary of what is happening, and then I have another journal for Bible stuff.

    Love ~*Chantelle*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have another journal for Bible stuff (I called it my Prayer Journal) but then I lost it. I was so disappointed about losing it (it was this absolutely gorgeous book that I got given my grandparents for my birthday) that I've never begun another one since!

      Delete
  3. I find that if you set a regular time during the day to write in your dairy/journal, then you can get it done. The only problem is when you are away at that specified time…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I see what you mean. My days are always different though (partly due to my differing shifts at work). I'm glad it works for you! (Apart from when you are away obviously) :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My diary is quite small, about 1 hand-width by 1 1/2 hand-widths. I write in it every evening just before bed, and sum up the day's events.
    Sometimes there is just one happy event to record; other times, since I try to only write a few sentences each day, I have to try and condense!
    This method has been working for me for nearly two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you do it regular! I can't do it every day.. if I did I don't think I would find enough to say! But then, I write a lot. Usually a whole page worth. (A5.)

      Delete
    2. Okay. But the way I'm doing it, I only have to write one sentence. A couple of times I've just written "not sure" or "nothing much." Maybe I just have an exciting life!

      Delete
    3. Maybe you do. :) :)

      Delete

Join the conversation!