Saturday 21 September 2013

Talented

 Matthew 25:13-30:

“Therefore stay alert, because you do not know the day or the hour.

For it is like a man going on a journey, who summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them.  To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, each according to his ability. 



Then he went on his journey.  The one who had received five talents went off right away and put his money to work and gained five more. In the same way, the one who had two gained two more.  

But the one who had received one talent went out and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money in it. 



After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came and brought five more, saying, ‘Sir, you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.’  His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful in a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 

The one with the two talents also came and said, ‘Sir, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more.’  His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’  

Then the one who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Sir, I knew that you were a hard man, harvesting where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’  

But his master answered, ‘Evil and lazy slave! So you knew that I harvest where I didn’t sow and gather where I didn’t scatter? Then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received my money back with interest!  

Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten.  For the one who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’”

Let's say, for the purpose of illustration, that Agatha can play the piano like a concert pianist. Does that mean that I can therefore mope around all day because I am not anywhere close to her positively profound piano playing level? Does that mean that I am a complete failure?

Well, if I mope around all day complaining, then I will be!!!

Jesus is trying to tell us in this passage that we are not the same as every Tom, Dick and Harriet around us. We have different talents and abilities. Sure, my gardening skills (anyone can yank a few weeds out, right?) may not be comparable to Martha's positively profound piano playing level. But if we get our act together, and actually use what God has given us, then we may be surprised at the results!

There is no excuse for not using what God has given us. I am unique. We are unique. YOU are unique! (Just like everyone else, lol!) You may not be some D.L. Moody or Billy Graham someday. Obviously a crippled person in a wheelchair can't be expected to go to Africa and evangelise the nations. It's just not feasible!!!

But you can use what God gave you. :-) You can do your best.


"I will only pass through this world once, therefore whatever kind thing I can do, let me do it, for I will not pass this way again."

"Lord, whether I get anything else done today, help me to spend this day loving you and loving others."


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!