Tuesday 14 March 2017

My Daily Journaling Journey and a brief attempt at being motivational



At the beginning of this year I made myself a bit of a resolution. I wanted to write in my journal every single day of this year.

Well, I failed. :P

I did better than I thought I would, to be honest. I was expecting it to fizzle out at some point. And I managed it! For about two months. I missed one day in mid January, I missed one day at the end of January (this one has a legit excuse - I was flying back from America and I didn't actually get an entire day because of time zones and stuff so I skipped it because that day didn't exist in my life :P) and I can't remember about February. I think I might have missed one or two.

Until March hit.

And I forgot two days in a row. :/ I remembered the third day but decided not to because I was doing other things and honestly couldn't be bothered.

It was going quite well until that point!

So yeah.

I've given up on the 'daily journaling' idea. Cos it's too hard to actually do every. single. day.

But it got me thinking. What is in me that allows me to just give up like this? Why do I, as soon as I fail often enough, refuse to get back up, pick up the pen on a new day and continue?

I don't even know all the answers to that question.

But I think they would be along the lines of "as soon as it becomes difficult" and "as soon as I view it as less important".

Because if you have something you desire to do, you have to DO IT.

(that was real inspirational material right there, guys!)

And DOING IT takes time. And effort. And making it a priority.

Hmm, yeah, making it a priority. I have to actually make daily journaling a priority (a thing of importance in my life) in order to get it done.

So why am I posting this? I guess I'm posting it to encourage you.

If you are like me (that is, you get excited about a project and it lasts for a grand total of not very long before you lose interest and give up on the incomplete project) then take courage. You're not alone!

You don't have to finish every project. There is no law of the universe (that I'm aware of anyway) that says you have to finish everything you begin. I'm not going to try to continue writing in my journal every day because I just don't want to.

But if you want to finish it, and lack the motivation, here's my encouragement.

JUST DO IT!
post signature

11 comments:

  1. I did daily journaling for about a year and half, but then gave up, so...I understand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a daily journal - more like a paragraph of a what I did in the day - I just use a normal spiral bound notebook. it's fun to look back at and see what you did each day XD

    but yes, totally agreed. lovely post <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have kept a journal for about 13 years but at no point in time have I ever written in it daily. That's too much work and some days I have nothing to say! I obviously make up for it on other days though since I am currently filling my 23rd one.
    Good motivational post though! The key to life is hard work/diligence and no one ever claimed it was easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact you've filled 22 journals! That is completely awesome and I'm inspired.
      So true. Your key to life is certainly proven!
      Thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. This was encouraging to me, Bonnie.
    I get motivated to do things, such as write in my book and journals. I haven't written in a journal in a while since I've been busy with my book. The problem is that I just have to learn that sometimes its not going to be as perfect as I want...but motivation is still good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was encouraging! :)

      Tell me about your book.... maybe I've been living under a rock, but I haven't heard of it until just now! That's so exciting. I want to hear all about it!

      Delete
    2. Haha. No, you haven't been living under a rock. :) I haven't really mentioned it on my blog or anywhere else, but Bonnie, I am so extremely excited because I just published it today! I can not wait to get it in the mail. It's kind of like a journal- for exactly 3 years and 6 months I've written about our family, life, devotions, etc. on the computer in a word document. It's only 122 pages long. I'm starting a new book and hopefully I can publish that in a few years.
      It's not available for purchase...I do want to write a novel that others can read though. :)

      So there you have it! A short summary of my book (in a hundred words or less. :) )

      Delete
  5. I've had a journal ever since I could draw pictures and sound out letters. I love Journaling, and can't go very often without writing in my journal. I've filled almost ten. (I think!) I encourage you to keep going, and maybe make it a habit, if you haven't yet! Wiring about my life helps relieve stress, etc. Great job so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat! That's awesome. I've kept a journal for a very long time... I just haven't written daily until this year.

      Delete

Join the conversation!