Sunday 13 December 2015

The Sound of Christmas

Today marks the official twelve days to Christmas countdown.

What makes it seem like Christmas is coming for you?

Is it the excitement of choosing and wrapping presents? The knowledge of what Christmas means? Decorating the house and finding a tree? Planning Christmas Day? Hearing Christmas music?

It's all of those for me. One of my favourites has to be Christmas music though.

I love traditional carols. They are fantastic. Carols are wonderful to sing and proclaim the good news of Jesus' birth through.

I also quite like some of the newish carols that are coming out. Mind you, I don't know many of them, mainly because I don't listen to popular music! :) However occasionally you come across a new one that was definitely written with Jesus in mind and you go, yes, this is good.

Here are two of my favourite new-ish Christmas songs for your enjoyment!

This first one is a take on the original song (that wasn't explicitly Christmassy) written by Leonard Cohen, I believe.



I've heard about this baby boy
Who's come to earth to bring us joy
And I just want to sing this song to you
It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
With every breath I'm singing Hallelujah
Hallelujah

A couple came to Bethlehem
Expecting child, they searched the inn
To find a place for You were coming soon
There was no room for them to stay
So in a manger filled with hay
God's only Son was born, oh Hallelujah
Hallelujah

The shepherds left their flocks by night
To see this baby wrapped in light
A host of angels led them all to You
It was just as the angels said
You'll find Him in a manger bed
Immanuel and Savior, Hallelujah
Hallelujah

A star shown bright up in the east
To Bethlehem, the wise men three
Came many miles and journeyed long for You
And to the place at which You were
Their frankincense and gold and myrrh
They gave to You and cried out Hallelujah
Hallelujah

I know You came to rescue me
This baby boy would grow to be
A man and one day die for me and you
My sins would drive the nails in You
That rugged cross was my cross, too
Still every breath You drew was Hallelujah
Hallelujah


The second song is kind of new.... it was written in 1994 by Mark Lowry and Buddy Greene.


Mary, did you know
that your baby boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your baby boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little baby you kissed the face of God?

The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb.

Mary, did you know
that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your baby boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great I Am.


What are your favourite Christmas songs? What makes it seem like Christmas is coming for you?
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Both of those songs are really nice. I'm not sure what my favorite Christmas song is. I know when Christmas is coming when it nears the 25 of December, the excitement, the Christmas songs, wreath and advent calendar. All these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your family still perform that stick dance to 'One King'? I love that song too.
      Christmas is awesome. :) Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. We still are asked sometimes to perform 'One King'. Your Welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation!