Saturday 11 April 2015

Bonnie's Opinion: On Blogging (or: Why I Have a Blog)


Why do I have a blog?

That is actually a very good question. And I probably wouldn't have even considered it, if it wasn't for the fact that one of my lovely readers asked me, in my Ask Me Anything post, "Do you think you will ever stop posting on your blog?"

My answer was this: "Maybe, if I ever run out of things to say! But I don't think that will happen anytime soon, don't worry. I really enjoy blogging."

But I kept thinking about that question. And wondering. Would I ever stop posting? And if so, why?

That leads itself on to the question of why I have a blog. (Wow, I've really been thinking, haven't I!) And I have come to the conclusion that the reason why I began my blog is different to the reason why I currently run it.

I originally began my blog for the sole purpose of curiosity. I knew a couple of people who had blogs. And I thought it looked like fun. I was interested in the whole dynamic of blogging, and I thought having my own was a good way to experiment and find out more.

So I began it, in January 2013.

Over the years that my blog has been going, my view on both my blog, and blogging in general has changed somewhat.

The reasons I currently run it are:
1. It is my 'platform' - well, it's sorta my opportunity to tell the world what I think on a bunch of different subjects. :P
2. Because I am used to it, and it would feel weird to stop running it
3. Besides, I genuinely enjoy it
4. I feel like at the moment I still have lots of stuff left to say
5. I can always stop it I get too busy to run it, it's not something I'm chained to

I was sure there were way more reasons than that, but that's all I can think of at the moment. :)

I asked a friend a little while ago for an honest opinion on my blog. And I was thrilled with the answer. I forget exactly how it was phrased (and apologies, friend, if this isn't how it was said!), but it was something about how the friend enjoyed the 'light hearted' posts and also found the more 'reflective' posts good. I'm stating it badly, sorry, but the main gist of it that I got was that I had a good balance going.

That's what I'm aiming for. I try to provide my loyal readers with a balance.

I don't want my entire blog to be overrun by frivolities. And I don't want it to be entirely the heavier, meatier stuff, either. I think a balance fits well. As they say, "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!"

Blogging isn't for everyone. There are times when I scratch my head and wonder what possessed me to begin blogging. But I'm glad I did. It has been worth it. It's been a journey. (Thanks for sticking it out with me!)

Do you blog? If so, why?
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation!