Monday 17 February 2014

My Reading Habits

So, I found this little Reading Habits Q and A a million years ago, and I saved it in a draft post. I've only just come across it when scrolling through my post list..... hence why I have no idea where I originally found it!!


Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:
Oh yes. I love eating nuts, fruit (peaches and nectarines and apples... mmm) and anything I can get my hands on, really! I like to eat while I read. Definitely. I try not to get it on the book, of course.


What is your favorite drink while reading?
Milkshakes!! Chocolate or banana. I don't have them very often though.


Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
NO WAY! I could never do that to a book!! Oh well, actually, I have marked a book once or twice. But there was a reason! If there is profanity/swearing/cursing/taking the Lord's name in vain, then I definitely scribble that part out/whiteout it/black it out immediately. Not that the books I read have profanity in them very often, but I've done it once or twice when it was necessary. (And I wouldn't do it to a library book, needless to say!)


How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
I am ashamed to say that I am a 'laying the book flat open' person. I should really use bookmarks, but there never seems to be a bookmark on hand where I am reading! Sometimes I use a scrap of paper to keep my place, but usually I lay it flat open or memorize the page number and shut it. (And I'm very careful not to lay it flat open if it doesn't belong to me!)


Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
Both.



Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I can stop anywhere. I prefer to wait until the end of an exciting bit, but if I am called away urgently I often don't really get to choose!



Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
No, I can't say I actually have ever done that. Nor do I want to.



If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
I do. I like to further my vocabulary, and I like to know the meaning of words I read!



What are you currently reading?
The Elsie Dinsmore series. I'm on book #18, Elsie at Viamede. Oh, and I am also currently reading Volcano Adventure by Willard Price. Just for fun. :)



What is the last book you bought?
Personally or family? My family last bought the last few books in the Elsie Dinsmore series, but I can't remember the last book I bought personally! We tend to buy them together or get given them as gifts. I got given some of the Chuck Black Kingdom books for Christmas, which was awesome.



Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I can easily read more than one.



Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
Yes - anytime! I like reading stretched out on my bed or curled up on the couch. It's quieter in my room though.



Do you prefer series books or stand-alone?
Series books are cool because you've got the continuation of the story... but stand-alones are nice too because you know the outcome of the plot once you've finished one book! They both have their disadvantages and advantages, but I probably enjoy reading series books more on the whole.



Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Frank Peretti. I love his books.



How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
We try to sort them by author. But our shelves get kind of messed up, so often it's just random books anywhere. That is NOT a good way to have your shelves organized, but that's how it ends up. Until I go through and tidy it all up again. :)




2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about not having bookmarks on hand when you stop reading! I often look at the page number, then forget it instantly. I usually just flick through the book until I find where I am up to. Usually I lay it flat though if it's just for a short time.
    - Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we have much the same reading habits, Jennifer! I do own heaps of bookmarks, but they always turn up in places where I don't read. And I always lose them. :P

      Delete

Join the conversation!